Margo is joined by renowned author, artist and designer, Annie Sloan who is one of the world’s most popular experts in the field of decorative painting. After studying Fine Art at university in the 1970s, Annie went on to write her first book, The Complete Book of Decorative Paint Techniques – which is considered to be the industry bible on the subject. Since then, she has published 26 books on paint effects, color, and interior design. In 1990 Annie invented her revolutionary no-prep Chalk Paint, which transformed the world of furniture painting. Wall Paint and Satin Paint were added to the range and today Annie Sloan has a huge following of interior designers, professional painters and up-cyclers who love to bring Annie’s color expertise to their homes. Her creative flair has led her to being named one of Britain’s most influential female designers and she was awarded a CBE for services to Interior Design in 2023.
Margo and Annie discuss:
- Annie’s creative path and studying different mediumships of art
- Her process for mixing colors
- Decorative paint techniques
- How being an early adopter to social media has played a role in the success of her business
- The process of creating her revolutionary chalk paint
- How and why she began to sell her paints beyond her own shop and what makes her stockists successful
- Being awarded a CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire) for her services to Interior Design
- And more!
Connect with Annie:
People Inspiring Annie:
Kit Kemp – the interior designer and hotelier. She has a wonderful eye for color.
Duncan Grant and Vanessa Bell – Charleston Farmhouse is my spiritual home and where I first really
fell in love with painted furniture as an art form.
Georgia O’Keefe – the American modernist painter was fiercely independent of art trends (a bit like
me!). She had incredible powers of observation and noticed subtle nuances of color.